David E. Rowe
P.O. Box 594
Flushing, MI 48433
Chairman - Great Lakes Sailing Adventure Committee – 2012 to present.
- Committee is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Alden 52’ ketch “Retriever”. Provides offshore sailing and live aboard experiences to Scout units from throughout the U.S., cruising the northern Great Lakes. Owned by the Michigan Crossroads Council, Boy Scouts of America.
Tall Pine Council Sail Training Committee Chairman – 1979 to 2012.
- Committee was responsible for operation and maintenance of the sailing ketch, “Prevailing Winds II”. Chartered to Scout units from throughout the U.S, the vessel provided sail training experiences to Scouts while cruising throughout the northern Great Lakes and the North Channel of Canada. Owned by the Tall Pine Council, Boy Scouts of America.
U.S. Coast Guard Captain License:
- Masters 100 Ton License – Great Lakes
- Operation of Uninspected Passenger Vessel Waters – Ocean Going
- Auxiliary Sail Endorsement
- Assistance Towing Endorsement
Race Chairman – Mackinac Island Racing Program – 1992 to present
Mackinac Island Yacht Club
- Commodore – 2008-2009
- Regatta Chairman –2010 to present - Chairman of 4 annual sponsored races
- Held every executive office leading up to Commodore
Round the Island Race-Mackinac Race Week - Race Chair – 2008 to present
Mackinac Island to Manitoulin Island Sailboat Race – Race Committee - 2005 to 2013.
Tawas Bay Yacht Club
- Commodore 1980
- Held all executive offices leading to Commodore
- Member – Mackinac Island Yacht Club – 1982 to present
Great Lakes Cruising Club – 1989 to present
Tawas Bay Yacht Club – 1976 to 1986
Sailing and Racing Experience
- Owner and Master of Cal 39 sloop – “Wild Honey” – berthed on Mackinac Island, MI. Cruised and raced extensively throughout the Great Lakes. Previously owned 4 sloops berthed in the northern Great Lakes.
- Annapolis to Bermuda Ocean Race-1990, 1994, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2006
- Offshore race starting in Annapolis, MD, racing the length of the Chesapeake Bay with the finish in St. David, Bermuda. Served as watch captain and helmsman.
- Sailing Instructor – British Virgin Islands – Taught sailing and liveaboard fundamentals to college students for credit in 2 week sessions. Sailed and instructed on Oceana 43 sloops- 2001, 2006.
- Mackinac Island Round the Island Races – Participated in bouy races throughout the Mackinac Island and Mackinac Straits area since 1992.
- Mackinac Island to Manitoulin Island International Yacht Race (MacMan Race) - 2005 through 2012
- Three day race originating on Mackinac Island, finishing in Little Current, Ontario, in the North Channel of Canada.
- Port Huron to Mackinac Race – 1984, 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 2000
- Offshore race starting in Port Huron, MI, finishing on Mackinac Island.
- Chicago to Mackinac Race-1986, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
- 333 mile race, starting in Chicago, racing the length of Lake Michigan to Mackinac Island.
- Mackinac Island Round the Island Races – Participated in bouy races throughout Mackinac Island and Mackinaw Straits area since 1992.
- Sailboat delivery – sailing a CT- 54 ketch from Ft. Lauderdale to Great Lakes by way of Erie Barge Canal– 1982.
- Cruised extensively throughout the British Virgin Islands aboard Morgan 50, and Beneteau 38 sloops – 1989, 1990, 1998